Saturday, October 10, 2009

a funny video and a serious thought

Today I enjoyed watching this clip on youtube. (The man speaking French is explaining how the glass panes have been removed from this door for an experiment.)

While this clip unfortunately shows how immature my sense of humor is, I think there is also a spiritual truth that can be seen through this.

The people who stumbled with the door had trouble because they didn't use the door according to the designer's intentions (that is, not pushing on the glass but instead using the handle-- admittedly, rather low in the clip).

I think, when it comes to God's plans, many times I am similar to those people in the video-- I get through the door of God's plans, but it's rough and jerky because I don't fully listen to God's intentions for how to do it.

As I approach leaving for "a whole new world", I find God graciously pointing out to me that I really need to pay much closer attention to His direction, a word that I think can easily apply to all of us. It seemed to me the question He would pose is "what areas of my life would change if I was operating entirely according to the good news about Jesus' rescuing?"

I think these verses do a good job elucidating what the true norm for us should be:

Psalm 119: 128-136

Your testimonies are wonderful; therefore my soul observes them.
The unfolding of Your word gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.
I opened my mouth wide and panted, for I longed for Your commandments.
Turn to me and be gracious to me, after Your manner with those who love Your name.

Establish my footsteps in Your word, and do not let any iniquity have dominion over me.
Redeem me from the oppression of man, that I may keep Your precepts.
Make Your face shine upon Your servant, and teach me Your statutes.
My eyes shed streams of water, because they do not keep Your law.

No comments:

Post a Comment